SAIS in Washington, D.C. (established 1943)
SAIS is located on Massachusetts Avenue along Washington, D.C.'s Embassy Row in Dupont Circle. Areas of concentration include global themes and regions of the world in addition to core competencies in international relations, international economics and languages.
SAIS Bologna Center in Italy (established 1955)
Approximately half of all SAIS M.A. students begin their studies at the center—the only American graduate institution of its kind in Europe—and most complete their second year at the Washington campus. The courses, which parallel Washington's offerings, are taught by a mix of SAIS and adjunct faculty from Europe's major academic institutions, providing students a complementary perspective to their U.S. experience.
Hopkins-Nanjing Center for Chinese and American Studies in the People's Republic of China (established 1986)
The center is a partnership between SAIS and Nanjing University. American and international students are taught mainly in Mandarin by Chinese professors while Chinese students mostly study in English with international professors. The center offers a one-year certificate and a two-year M.A. in International Studies, awarded jointly by both universities.
The Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS) is a leading graduate school of international relations, educating students for professional careers in government, business, international law and nonprofit organizations. Founded in 1943 by Paul Nitze and Christian Herter, SAIS has been a division of The Johns Hopkins University since 1950.
DEAN Vali R. Nasr (since July 2012)
GRADUATE STUDENTS (2012-13)
- 640 in Washington, D.C.
- 200 in Bologna, Italy
- 180 in Nanjing, China
International students from more than 70 countries comprise about one-third of the student body.
- 94 full-time
- 183 part-time
- 16,000 working in approximately 140 countries
- More than 130 SAIS graduates have become ambassadors throughout the world.
- M.A. - M.B.A. with Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania
- M.A. - M.B.A. with Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth College
- M.A. - M.B.A. with INSEAD (France and Singapore)
- M.A. - J.D. with Stanford University Law School
- M.A. - J.D. with University of Virginia School of Law
- M.A. - M.S.P.H. with Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health
- M.A. - M.P.A. with Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs at Syracuse University
- M.A.I.A. - M.A.I.S. with Diplomatic Academy of Vienna (Bologna)
- M.A.I.A. - Laurea Magistrale with University of Bologna main and Forlì campuses (Bologna)
- M.A.I.A. - Master's Degree with Sciences Po Lille (Bologna)
Students may also create ad hoc dual-degree programs with other prominent universities.